Employees enjoy all of the benefits available to eligible employees of the City and County of San Francisco. The specific benefits an employee receives are determined by union collective bargaining agreements, the employee’s classification, and the type of appointment.
Our competitive salary ranges, cost of living adjustments and benefits are determined by labor contracts negotiated with 14 labor unions.
We offer comprehensive health benefits for eligible employees and dependents, including:
- Medical – Choice of Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or Preferred Provider Organization (PPO)
- Dental - Choice of HMO or PPO-style plans
- Vision – Choice of network or non-network providers
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) – Our employees may set money aside on a pre-tax basis for eligible healthcare and/or dependent care expenses.
Employees have access to a wide variety of wellness programs, including a Health Service System Wellness Center which provides classes and workshops to assist employees in maintaining good health.
Eligible employees become part of the San Francisco Employees’ Pension Plan, a qualified defined benefit plan funded through employee and employer contributions and investment earnings. The SFERS Pension Plan provides for considerable benefits upon separation from the City, including service and disability retirement, refund or vesting allowance, and pre- and post-retirement death benefits to survivors. Members of the retirement plan also have an opportunity to acquire additional retirement savings intended to supplement pension benefits with voluntary contributions to a Deferred Compensation 457(b) Plan. See the SFERS site for additional information.
Members of the retirement plan have an opportunity to acquire additional retirement savings intended to supplement pension benefits with voluntary contributions to a Deferred Compensation (457(b) Plan. Eligible employees may voluntarily invest a portion of their pre-tax regular earnings in a diverse selection of 25 core investment funds. See the SFERS site for additional information.
Commuter Benefits Program
Employees have a chance to deduct monthly commuting costs from their salary on a pre-tax basis. Employees can save up to 40% on commuting, public transit and vanpool costs by using pre-tax dollars.
Paid Time Off
Employees are offered a variety of paid time off to make sure they have options for a great work-life balance and limited compensation when sick or disabled, including:
- Vacation (10-20 days per year, depending on length of service)
- Sick leave (13 days per year)
- Legal holidays (11 paid holidays per year)
- Floating holidays (4 or 5 days per year, depending upon union contract)
- Paid parental leave which supplements paid leave balances to ensure that eligible employees will receive salary for up to twelve weeks.
On-site childcare is available to employees at our headquarters for an additional cost.
Employees can take advantage of a variety of discounts offered by local businesses to City and County employees.
Learn more about the benefits offered by the City and County of San Francisco on their website.
See the exciting opportunities available at the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission. We'd love to have you on board!
Join us to meet our employees and hear about upcoming opportunities.
A collaborative of water and wastewater utilities working together to promote careers in the industry