- A Sewer Connection Permit Application must be submitted for any customers that need to establish or replace a sewer connection, e.g. for a new property, new development, or redevelopment with additional connections, a change in capacity charge, upsizing a sewer lateral, or lower lateral repair.
- In addition to this permit, Applicant must pay any required SFPUC Water and Wastewater Capacity Charge fees due.
- If the proposed connection will cross public right of way, Applicant should obtain an excavation permit from San Francisco Public Works, Bureau of Street-Use and Mapping, 1155 Market Street, 3rd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103, 415-554-5810, BSMPermitDivision@sfdpw.org, https://www.sfpublicworks.org/services/permits
- If the Applicant is altering the upper lateral between the property and curb, they should obtain the proper permits and arrange for an inspection with the Plumbing Inspection Division at 1660 Mission Street, telephone 415-558-6054
Part 1: Applying for Service
APPLICATION PROCESSING TIME
Application Review is expected to take 2 to 3 weeks.
Part 2: Construction & Inspection
- Application - Applicants can either fill out an application online and email the completed form to email@example.com or pick up a printed copy at SFPUC 5th Floor Counter at Department of Building Inspection (1660 Mission St) and mail to Sewer Inspection, 3801 Third St, Ste 600, San Francisco, CA 94124.
- Construction Plans and Drawings - As described in the Application, Applicant must provide Plan and Profile view drawings. SFPUC’s standard details can be accessed by clicking here.
- Review - SFPUC will review the Application to assess proposed impact to the collection system, limitations of the local sewers, and compliance with sewer lateral standard details and specifications. If needed, information will be transmitted to the Applicant regarding these review items.
- Application Approval - Upon completing internal Application review, a permit will be issued to the Applicant by email and/or mail.
- Notification of Modifications – If there are any changes to site plans or application details, Applicant or Applicant's Contractor must notify SFPUC at least one week in advance of intended construction through the SFPUC Collection Systems Division phone line (415) 695-7321 and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Inspection Scheduling – Applicant or Applicant’s Contractor schedules an inspection 72 hours in advance via the contact information above. Contractor also notifies San Francisco Public Works BSM.
- Installation and Connection – Applicant or Applicant’s Contractor installs sewer lateral and connects to SFPUC sewer main.
- Inspection – SFPUC conducts inspection with Applicant’s Contractor and determines if sewer lateral details and specifications are met. If they are not met, Contractor shall correct work, potentially accompanied by a follow-up inspection, or can request a variance.
- Permit Closure – For approved inspections, a copy of the completed application with SFPUC sign-off will be returned to Applicant to close the permit.
More Sewer Connection Resources
If you have any questions regarding the above information or
filling out the application, please contact:
Collection System Division
or by mail:
3801 Third Street, Ste 600
San Francisco, CA 94124
Last updated: 11/6/2018 4:44:52 PM