Due to the COVID-19 emergency, effective March 17, 2020 until further notice, the SFPUC will not be conducting in-person water-wise evaluations. In place, we are scheduling phone consultations with our conservation technicians. Please leave a message at (415) 551-4730 or email email@example.com if you would like to schedule a water conservation phone consultation.
A periodic checkup of your in-ground irrigation system is a good practice to ensure your landscape receives the optimum amount of water in the most efficient manner. We recommend running your system once a month to identify any leaks or breaks and to pinpoint the areas of your landscape that require additional attention. We can set up an irrigation system checkup to show you best maintenance practices you can perform, as well as provide tips to help you fix issues before they show up on your water bill. A well-maintained irrigation system is vital to your landscape health, saving you water, time, and money.
For more information or to schedule your appointment for an Irrigation System Checkup, contact the Water Conservation Section at (415) 551-4730. If you would also like an assessment of your indoor water use, you may want to consider having a full, free indoor and outdoor Water-Wise Evaluation.
During your Irrigation System Checkup, a water-efficiency representative will:
- Confirm your irrigation timer is operating properly and scheduled according to your plant needs, system design, and season
- Observe the operation of your irrigation system, station by station, and check for the most common locations for leaks, clogged emitters, and faulty sprinkler heads
- When possible, perform minor on the spot adjustments to sprinkler heads, drip emitters, and irrigation timer’s that will have immediate water saving results
- Help you isolate timer stations that have major leaks and shut off the irrigation to that zone until repairs are made
- Provide gardening and landscaping guides
After your irrigation system checkup, we will provide you with a summary report outlining recommendations to improve your system’s efficiency, adjustments we performed during the irrigation system checkup, and estimated water savings associated with replacing or upgrading your system.
Large Landscape Irrigation Systems
For landscapes greater than a half-acre, we offer the Landscape Technical Assistance Program (LTAP). LTAP identifies water saving opportunities in a landscape area that can improve irrigation efficiency, reduce water use, and save money. Please visit our LTAP webpage
for more program details and sign up for your next landscape evaluation.