Have you ever wondered what happens to the dirty water from your shower, laundry and toilet after it goes down the drain? What about the runoff from lawns and gardens, and rainwater and car washing?
Free Tours for Professional Groups
We also offer tours for professional groups and industry-specific visitors on a case-by-case basis, at our Southeast Treatment Plant in the Bayview, usually Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, starting either at 10:00am or 1:00pm. To sign up, please submit a Group Tour Request Form, preferably two weeks in advance.
Free Tours for School Groups
San Francisco public and private school students in the 5th grade and at least 10 years old can take a free tour too! School tours are usually offered on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, starting either at 10:00am or 1:00p.m. Tours are held at our Southeast Treatment Plant in the Bayview.
NOTE: for grades 5-7, we require chaperones at a 1:5 ratio. For grades 8 and up, we require chaperones at a 1:8 ratio.
To sign up, please submit a School Tour Request Form, preferably two weeks in advance.
- Tours take two hours to complete.
- Available for groups of up to 30 people.
- Attendees over 18 years of age must present a valid photo ID on the day of the tour.
Treatment plants are functioning industrial sites in operation 24-hours a day, seven days a week. Hard hats are provided and must be worn at all times while on tour. Sturdy closed shoes and socks, long pants or long skirts are required for both your safety and comfort. NO flip-flops, sandals, clogs, open toed shoes, shorts, or skirts.
While these tours involve quite a bit of walking, climbing of stairs, and going underground in tight hallways and tunnels, we can change the route to accommodate wheel chairs, canes and walkers. We have no facilities for, and cannot accommodate young children, infants, or strollers.
Oceanside Water Pollution
Oceanside Treatment Plant
- Located in San Francisco’s Outer Sunset District, 3500 Great Highway, 94132
- Tours for SF residents are available one Saturday each month.
- Sign up for a tour.
Southeast Water Pollution
Southeast Treatment Plant
- Located in San Francisco’s Bayview District, 750 Phelps Street, 94124
- Tours of the Southeast Treatment Plant for SF residents are available one Saturday each month, from May through October. Sign up for a residential tour.
- Tours for groups and schools are available upon request on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Sign up for a group or school tour.
Please be advised that due to security issues we reserve the right to refuse anyone from taking part in a tour. We also reserve the right to cancel tours in the event of a Plant or City emergency.
Phone: (415) 695-7375
Fax: (415) 695-7377