Skip to page body Home Customer Service How To Environment Projects & Programs About Us

About CleanPowerSF

 Banner

What Is CleanPowerSF?

» How Will it Work?
» The SFPUC and CleanPowerSF

CleanPowerSF will provide San Francisco with cleaner energy alternatives. CleanPowerSF will give electricity consumers a choice by allowing residents and businesses to choose between two energy providers (CleanPowerSF or PG&E). When customers choose CleanPowerSF, not only will they reduce their personal carbon footprint, but they'll also decrease San Francisco’s greenhouse gas emissions and help combat global climate change. Similar programs have existed for many years in both Marin and Sonoma counties.

Your Electricity Supply Today

Most San Francisco electricity customers have one energy provider (PG&E) with one energy supply. Consumers don't really have a choice. CleanPowerSF will give consumers that choice. Per state law, electricity customers will be automatically enrolled in CleanPowerSF. After enrollment, customers can opt-out anytime at no cost; the CHOICE IS YOURS. 

Building Energy Independence

CleanPowerSF will build new, renewable energy facilities and offer energy efficiency
programs for participating customers. This build-out will create green jobs to stimulate
our city’s economy and stabilize energy prices over the long term. CleanPowerSF is an
investment in the future of our community, economy and environment. CleanPowerSF is the best, most timely way to substantially reduce our City’s greenhouse gas emissions and ensure we do our part to combat global climate change.

How Will it Work

PG&E's electricity is currently only 22% California-certified renewable. The other 78% features other resources including carbon-emitting (natural gas) and nuclear sources of energy. CleanPowerSF will generate your electricity from cleaner sources like hydroelectric, solar, wind, biogas, and small-hydro.

How it works

Same Service – Cleaner Energy from Day One

Aside from cleaner energy, all other aspects of your electricity service will remain the same. PG&E will continue to bill customers, operate the electrical grid in the City and distribute electricity to residents. When there is a power outage you can contact PG&E.

The SFPUC and CleanPowerSF

CleanPowerSF will be administered by clean energy experts at the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC), the City’s water, sewer and municipal power utility. The SFPUC already generates approximately 17% of the City’s energy needs through resources like solar power and hydropower, which produce zero greenhouse gas emissions. The SFPUC also provides pristine Hetch Hetchy water delivered by gravity to your tap and award-winning sewage treatment that protects our local waterways. 

 

Contact Us:  Call us at 415.554.3289 or please write to us with questions or comments at: CleanPowerSF@sfwater.org

 

Last updated: 8/17/2015 1:02:05 PM