|Street crew member repairs light.
The Street Light Services Division of the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission owns, operates and maintains over half of the street lights in the City. This diverse portfolio of 25,000 street lights includes the latest LED lights, our City’s antique light fixtures and much more. PG&E owns and maintains most of the other street lights in San Francisco (approximately 19,000 street lights). Clean, Hetch Hetchy hydroelectric energy powers all of the City's street lights.
Street lights are some of the City’s most important resources. Not only do they keep our City safe and provide lighting for vehicular traffic, but they also provide light for pedestrians, dog walkers and our City’s late night entertainment venues.
Learn about San Francisco's LED Street Light Conversion Program.
Learn about street and pedestrian lights for City installations.
Report a street light problem by dialing 3-1-1 or using our StreetLightsSF smart phone app!
Examples of San Francisco Street Lights
| Pendant Luminaire
|| LED Street Light
|| Post Top Luminaire
Street Light Pole Use for Non-Profits and Municipal Agencies
Non-profits and municipal agencies wishing to utilize a City-owned street light pole or poles should complete and submit the “Pole Use Application” and the “Energy Use Reporting Template” (below).
Please read (but do not complete or submit) the “Revocable Permit.” The permit contains important information on street light pole use requirements, regulations and policies, and is provided for your information only.
Completed documents should be submitted via email or postal mail to:
San Francisco Public Utilities Commission
Street Lights Engineering, Utility Services Division
651 Bryant Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
Questions regarding this application process should be directed to the above email or postal mailing addresses.
- Pole Use Application. Please complete and submit to our Street Lights Engineering, Utility Services Division at the addresses indicated above.
- Energy Use Reporting Template. Please provide information for each individual device to be installed on each light pole you wish to use. Submit your completed form to our Street Lights Engineering, Utility Services Division at the addresses indicated above.
- Revocable Permit. The important information in this document is provided for your information only. Please do not complete or submit this document.
Holiday Light Displays
In acknowledgement of the fact that Holiday Light Displays enhance San Francisco streets and promote the interests of San Francisco merchants, the SFPUC partners with neighborhood groups and merchants by providing:
- No-cost power for Holiday Light Displays, and
- Manpower to install and remove Holiday Light Displays.
Click here to learn more.