Public input was solicited for the Master Plan through three multi-venue SFPUC-sponsored workshops and briefings/presentations with more than 60 organizations and stakeholders during the entire development of the SSIP. The purpose of these workshops was to share information, seek input and direction, and receive public comment at various phases of the development and the refinement of the goals and levels of service that shape the SSIP project selection. The general public also submitted comments through response to mailers, by one-on-one meetings with the Wastewater Enterprise staff, at monthly Citizens’ Advisory Committee Wastewater Subcommittee and at the six Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) meetings, and by response to online surveys.
The materials that are provided summarize the planning efforts and include:
- Summary Report Chapter 1 [PDF] on the planning process. This report is a summary of the results of a five-year (2005 to 2009) master planning effort for the San Francisco sewer system.
- Summary of Past Master Plans (Appendix A) [PDF] that have been developed and executed by the City of San Francisco.
- The Public Participation Plan (Appendix B) [PDF] contains the draft Public Participation Plan summarizes the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission’s (SFPUC) strategy and methods to inform and engage the public in evaluating long-range improvements to the City’s wastewater system.
- To provide an independent technical perspective, the Wastewater Enterprise (WWE) established a Technical Advisory Committee (TAC). The TAC members were selected to represent a broad range of experience in the planning and design of wastewater management facilities and associated technologies. Six TAC workshops were held to familiarize the TAC with the sewer system, to review planning and technical issues and constraints, and to receive input on the SSMP. Following are Summaries of Six Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) meetings (Appendix C):
- 1st TAC Report [PDF]
- 2nd TAC Report [PDF]
- 3rd TAC Report [PDF]
- 4th TAC Report [PDF]
- 5th TAC Report [PDF]
- 6th TAC Report [PDF]
- Three Technical Memoranda (TMs) that include planning assumptions and decision analysis:
- TM 100 and 300 Series
- TM 101 [PDF] includes abbreviations and acronyms used throughout.
- TM 102 [PDF] provides the basic planning parameters for the Sewer System Master Plan (SSMP). They include wastewater flow and conventional pollutant loads projected for the span of the SSMP planning period.
- TM 301 [PDF] summarizes the goals, objectives, and evaluation criteria developed for comparing and assessing the alternatives developed for the SFPUC Sewer System Master Plan (SSMP). In addition, a summary of the prioritization of the project alternatives through the application of decision analysis and support of Criterium DecisionPlus (CDP) software is provided.