Our Water System Improvement Program (WSIP) will repair, replace and seismically upgrade portions of the regional water system, often referred to as the Hetch Hetchy water system. The WSIP’s planning stages have been completed and most projects are now well into design, so emphasis has turned toward preparing for construction. Accordingly, we are pleased to introduce our plan to manage WSIP construction.
The WSIP Construction Management (CM) Plan has been prepared to present the overall organization structure and approach to manage the construction of the WSIP, including the processes and policies to be used. It provides guidance on what is expected regarding the various CM functions and the roles and responsibilities of the CM Consultant as well as our staff, at the project, regional, and program levels. The CM Plan provides a roadmap for the consistent CM approach to be implemented across the program. The WSIP CM Plan includes:
- A summary of the Construction Management Contracting Strategy;
- Generic organizational charts of the program, regional, and project CM organizations showing typical staff positions of CM Consultants as well as SFPUC staff;
- Descriptions of the roles and responsibilities of the CM Consultants;
- Descriptions of the roles and responsibilities of typical CM staff positions;
- Summary descriptions of the general approach to all of the major CM functions and elements and its application to WSIP, including pre-construction functions; and
- Identification of software and its use in CM functions for management of information as well as cost and schedule control of the construction phase of WSIP.